Penhaligon’s is the quintessential English perfume house – from the atmosphere of a tailor’s workroom on Savile Row to a Bluebell wood after a spring rain shower. With the house’s fragrant adventure beginning in 1870 in the Victorian era of decadence, Penhaligon’s has been creating original scents for the true modern dandies and bold women from then until today.
Embodying the spirit of the witty and widely creative founder William Penhaligon, the creation of each fragrance carries on his incredible legacy of original and innovative perfumery, challenging the traditions of the art and seeking new ways to interpret elegance.
Beginning his career with a barbershop in London’s Jermyn Street, Piccadilly, the brand’s first scent ‘Hammam Bouquet’ was dreamt up by the founder in 1872 after inhaling the steam and sulphurous aromas of his neighbouring Turkish baths.
By the end of Queen Victoria’s reign, William Penhaligon had been appointed official Barber and Perfumer to the Royal Court, being granted a Royal Warrant by Queen Alexandra. Since then, the company holds two long-standing Royal Warrants from His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales (1988) and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh (1956), recognizing their supply of fragrance to Her Majesty the Queen and both the Prince and Duke.
Today, William’s hugely precious archives continue to inspire and inform the company, carrying on his legacy as they interpret their distinctive ideas, conjuring up new perfume sensations that flow against the tide.
Made in England, working with master perfumers who interpret distinctive ideas using the finest and rare ingredients, signature Penhaligon’s fragrance bottles keep to Williams’s original design: clear glass with a distinctive ribbon wrapped stopper.
Linking Penhaligon’s past and future is Anthology, a series of archive scents from as far back as 1927, reinterpreted for the modern fragrance connoisseur. Times may change, trends may ebb and flow but the great traditions of Penhaligon’s continue.